Customs & Logistics Specialist - Mississauga, ON - Exclusive/unadvertised
Reporting and Accountability: Director of Supply Chain Management
Background: Our national company is recognized for high standards of operations in
the many B2B distribution segments we serve. This role is thus an excellent career
development opportunity for someone with some logistics and customs experience,
business acumen and ability to both think strategically and effect change locally,
across our growing national network.
One of the key factors we look at is attitude. Initiative, ideas, team spirit, and a collaborative style and philosophy is as important as industry experience to us.
If you are positive and self-motivated you will find people who share those traits here.
Principal Objectives of the position:
Improve our logistics efficiency and our customs brokers’ compliance and thus, assist in controlling supply chain network costs,
without affecting customer service levels.
- Help negotiate and manage logistics (LTL, parcel/courier, TL) and brokerage term contracts and vendors.
- Keep the company informed of policy, regulatory and compliance changes that may affect these spend categories,
and their full impact on our supply chain and operations.
- Create, implement and analyse freight and duty/brokerage costs KPI measurements. - Propose necessary changes to processes,
systems or practices that will reduce these costs.
- Guide carriers and brokers on how best to handle our ever-changing products
and services. Act as a solid resource - both internal and external - for customs duty information;
including customs classifications, NAFTA/CETA certificate solicitations, CBSA audits, etc.
- Work closely with and respond to customs brokers, carriers and sourcing branches’
requests for information to resolve any issues preventing customs release in a timely manner.
- Keep the company informed of best practices, with emphasis on lean & simplification philosophies
and supply chain risk mitigation.
- Team with branches, corporate accounting and other parts of the organization to
improve both local and nationwide supply chain, in line with strategic initiatives
- Assist the Director in hands-on management of facilities, logistics, customs and vehicle fleet
- Manage change projects including costs, training and communications to all internal
stakeholders, ensuring complete engagement. Document processes, procedures, and policies.
- Help stretch the organization by supporting a problem solving and learning environment
- Degree or certificate in Customs-related studies, Supply Chain, Logistics or
Purchasing – full designation or working towards Certified Customs Specialist (CCS) is highly desirable
- 3-5 years of relevant logistics or customs experience, especially in a B2B or B2C environment
- Proven success in change management within a multi-location environment
- Must demonstrate strong business acumen, be highly organized, analytical, creative, and decisive
- Should be a fluent and highly articulate communicator, with excellent interpersonal and negotiation skills
French language is highly desirable
- Experience in reviewing and negotiating commercial contracts
- Any additional, related certifications are desirable but not essential
(e.g. CCS, SCMP/CPP/P.Log, Project Management, Six Sigma, Lean practices)
Compensation: According to industry experience and qualifications
Please attach your resume to the email generated. The Subject line contains the position title already for you.
Email: email@example.com Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
KEYWORDS: transportation, freight, freight forwarding, air freight, ocean freight, trade, import, export, customs, cargo, CIFFA, CSCB, transborder, crossborder, logistics, project, analyst, pricing, tender, project cargo, heavy lift, oversized, over dimensional, breakbulk, container, shipping, Trucking, Steamship, LCL, FCL, LTL, TL, shipping, customs broker, CCS, CTCS, PLCB, LCB, Licensed Customs Broker, HVS, LVS, RMD, NAFTA, Drawbacks, Refunds, Amends, Rulings, CBSA, CBP, OGD, 3PL, B2, B3, TIB, K32, AMPS, Compliance, Audit, Remissions, Customs Specialist, Customs Consultant, Customs Manager, Customs Rater, Supply Chain, Warehousing, Bonded, Distribution, Sales, Business Development, BDM, Trade Lane, Account Executive, Sales Manager, Far East, Pacific Rim, Inventory Control, Warehousing,