Customs Import Release Agent - Customs Broker - Mississauga, ON
The main function of a Customs Import Release Agent is to act on behalf of the company
in the representation of our customers in their dealings with the Canada Border Services Agency,
in a legal, professional manner, in conjunction with the rules and regulations stated in the Customs Act.
You are responsible for maintaining positive customer relationships using excellent relationship management
and interpersonal skills. You correctly prepare import release information for submission to the CBSA efficiently
within the timelines required.
• Determine the type of shipment for clearance and set up according to arrival time
• Dealing with all modes of transportation - truck, rail, air and ocean
• Arrange for pickup and delivery of air and ocean freight if required
• Pay required charges in a timely manner if required
• Surrender OBLs if required
• Communication with CBSA and other government departments
• Monitor releases to avoid storage charges
• Determining credit type and obtaining approval when applicable
• Handle all types of release to include PARS, RMDS, temporary imports, CITES,
vehicle imports and shortages.
• Setting up Hard Copy Entries with our agents
• Independently be responsible for handling all appointed incoming live shipments for set up
• Update client profile notes for new vendor information
• Create specific shipment notes if required for information pertaining to a clearance
• Completing the necessary forms required for clearances, Form 1 's, E29B, CFIA requests for approval, Import Declarations, etc.
• Enter all charges applicable that pertains to a shipment, examples: Form 1 charge, CFIA fee, shortage fee, CCI, etc.
• Obtain information to clear the shipment to include information for OGDs (Other Government Departments)
• Answer all incoming phone calls and emails in a timely manner
• Check voice mail and return calls within a timely manner
• Assist clients with their requests
• Able to provide written supporting information in professional format
• May be involved in educational projects for presentation to the department
• Tracking and tracing shipments
• Monitor all shipments set up on PARS for acceptance
• Deal with agents, customers, vendors, trucking companies, airlines, forwarders and steamship lines for setting up shipments
or obtaining information
• Work as a member of a team extending help when able
• Statutory Holiday coverage as scheduled (2 to 3 statutory holidays per calendar year)
• After hours phone handling - If required you will share the responsibility of the phone handling during our closed hours and on weekends
From the client:
- The position does not require rating but is always an asset.
- The position is for customer service.
- The after hours is basically working from home and setting up shipments we receive on weekends for truck and air.
- They are provided a laptop and a cell phone. There isn’t any need to come into the office.
- This is rotated amongst about 4-6 people and they are paid salary for 7.5 hours for Saturday and Sunday.
- Total 15 hours when working on a weekend. A vehicle is not required.
There is flexibility for handling the phone. Probably once every 6 weeks unless other individuals want to take the phone instead.
The person will be speaking to clients on the phone along with drivers, forwarders, customs, etc.
So in the course of the day it would vary but usually 10-15 calls per day. Shipment volume varies on the mode.
Most ocean shipments are about 15. Truck and Air could be approximately 15.
The position is for all 3 modes.
• Successful completion of Secondary School Grade Twelve or equivalent
• Post-secondary education in a customs related field would be an asset
• Minimum two years of experience in the Customs industry
• Minimum six months experience in handling of ocean freight
• CCS designation in good standing is required
• Ability to multi-task
• Ability to prioritize and make adjustments for changing workload
• Strong focus on providing excellent customer service to all individuals
• Strong command of the English language for all methods of communicating (e.g. written and verbal)
• Ability to work independently with minimum supervision as well as in a team environment
• Comfortable using Open Office, Microsoft Outlook email, Internet, general office equipment
• Excellent memory
Salary range: $43,000 - $52,000, according to industry experience, plus benefits
Please attach your resume to the email generated. The Subject line contains the position title already for you.
Email: email@example.com Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
KEYWORDS: transportation, freight, freight forwarding, air freight, ocean freight, trade, import, export, customs, cargo, CIFFA, CSCB, transborder, crossborder, logistics, project, analyst, pricing, tender, project cargo, heavy lift, oversized, over dimensional, breakbulk, container, shipping, Trucking, Steamship, LCL, FCL, LTL, TL, shipping, customs broker, CCS, CTCS, PLCB, LCB, Licensed Customs Broker, HVS, LVS, RMD, NAFTA, Drawbacks, Refunds, Amends, Rulings, CBSA, CBP, OGD, 3PL, B2, B3, TIB, K32, AMPS, Compliance, Audit, Remissions, Customs Specialist, Customs Consultant, Customs Manager, Customs Rater